F15 doesn't believe my hardware clock uses local time

Andre Robatino robatino at fedoraproject.org
Tue May 31 22:57:10 UTC 2011

Sam Varshavchik <mrsam <at> courier-mta.com> writes:

> On my laptop, it seems that at every boot the clock is offseted by my
> timezone.
>
> Date/Time properties shows "System clock uses UTC" unchecked. This is a dual-
> boot with WinXP, so I must keep the bios clock on local time. Yet, it seems
> that when I boot the bios clock is read as UTC nevertheless.

As an aside, there's a Windows hack (changing one of the registry entries) which
allows setting the hardware clock to UTC. Unfortunately, in XP the time may not
be properly restored after suspend/hibernate (which I don't do anyway on my
XP/Fedora desktop so that doesn't affect me). It should work properly without
this issue in Vista SP2 or Windows 7.

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/mswish/ut-rtc.html