Forcing HDD spindown

JB jb.1234abcd at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 21:39:59 UTC 2011

Christopher Svanefalk <christopher.svanefalk <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Dear all,
>
> one problem I have on my system is the frequency with which the kernel winds
up the HDD. It is hot almost constantly, and never seems to power down. Is there
anything I can do (aside from deactivating updatedb and the like) in order to
force the system to a minimal use of the HDD?

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Chris

Take it seriously.
If it is "hot almost constantly" you should take a closer look at processes run
over some longer period of time (top, iotop, ...; you can run them as a cron
job and collect data as well).

Also:
- System-Preferences-Power Management
- man hdparm
  # hdparm -I /dev/sd?
- $ yum info hddtemp
- Gogle search: linux hard disk temperature
  http://www.linuxjournal.com/magazine/monitoring-hard-disks-smart

JB