my SysV daemons not starting on boot

T.C. Hollingsworth tchollingsworth at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 01:06:39 UTC 2011

On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 5:01 PM, Michael D. Berger <m.d.berger at ieee.org> wrote:
> Always, started or not, I get the same thing:
>
> #systemctl status myDaemon.service
> myDaemon.service
>          Loaded: error
>          Active: inactive (dead)

That's very strange.  If a file "/etc/init.d/myDaemon" exists, systemd
should create a virtual "myDaemon.service".  (Emphasis on "virtual";
no file is created on disk.)

Check syslog (/var/log/messages) for any errors related to your
daemon.  If there are none, reboot and edit your kernel command line,
removing "rhgb quiet" and adding "systemd.log_level=debug" and check
again.

> Note that "start normally" is done by:
> #/etc/init.d/myDaemon start
>
> I do not use systemctl, and I have no "myDaemon.service" file.
> Since I have:
>   SYSTEMCTL_SKIP_REDIRECT=1
> near the top of /etc/init.d/myDaemon, I assumed that
> a myDaemon.service file was unnecessary
>
> Is this innorrect?

A .service file is unnecessary for SYSV initscripts regardless of
whether that envar is set.  In fact, you absolutely do not want one to
exist, because unit files override identically named initscripts.

SYSTEMCTL_SKIP_REDIRECT only prevents calls to "service daemon" or
"/etc/init.d/daemon" from being redirected to systemctl.  But,
systemctl still has to work properly, otherwise systemd can't start
your daemon on boot.

-T.C.