windows migrant: choosing linux distribution

Linux Tyro fedora.bkn at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 13:40:17 UTC 2011

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 6:17 PM, Tom Horsley <horsley1953 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > confused between: fedora, openSUSE and ubuntu LTS
>
> There isn't a lot of difference from the learning standpoint,
> but there are two main differences from an administration
> standpoint: fedora and openSUSE and many others use
> "rpm" packages and ubuntu and debian use "deb" packages
> to install software.
>
> There are various other administrative differences
> such as networking being described differently on
> fedora versus ubuntu, etc.

Well, I am looking for something in long terms, like the one with which I
start, I should remain there. And it must be highly secured (though I know
Linux is secured). But in future, I would learn the basics of
administration too, so please guide me which is a better administration -
rpm or deb?

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 6:22 PM, D. Marshall Lemcoe Jr. <forum at lemcoe.com>wrote:

Ubuntu, I think is easier to get started from "scratch" with, but all
> three distributions that you listed will serve you just fine in
> learning the order of the penguin.

Oh I see, and in long term also, would it be good?

> Good luck

Thanks.