windows migrant: choosing linux distribution

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Wed Nov 2 18:38:13 UTC 2011

On 11/02/2011 05:37 AM, Linux Tyro wrote:
> hi,
>
> i am new in this world of linux. getting confused seeing a lot of linux
> distro. I just want to use linux distro to learn linux from the scratch
> level. please suggest me if fedora is the best place to start with. other
> details are as follows:
>
> confused between: fedora, openSUSE and ubuntu LTS
>
> purpose of using linux: to learn from the scratch level
>
> why linux: highly secured and better than windows
>
> hardware: 250 gb hard disk, 2 gb ram, one samsung printer, speakers
>
> when i use system: from a different job, whenever i get time, i do use the
> system but in this less time, eager to learn linux

Keep in mind that Fedora is a "cutting edge" distribution.  It's
generally completely "updated" (replaced) every 6 months and old
versions are only supported for two updates, e.g. when Fedora 16
comes out, Fedora 14 will be obsoleted and orphaned (no updates).

If you want a relatively stable environment (and if you're just
learning, that might be a good idea), I'd go with Ubuntu, Debian or
CentOS (CentOS is built from the same source as Red Hat Enterprise
Linux).

If you're willing to bleed a bit, then yeah, Fedora is the way to
go.  As the old saying goes, "If you're not on the edge, you're taking
up too much space." (he says, with tongue planted firmly in cheek)