pthread_create() fails SysV in myDaemon on boot

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Wed Nov 2 22:02:41 UTC 2011

On 11/02/2011 02:54 PM, Michael D. Berger wrote:
> Please pardon me if you see this twice.  I thought that the
> newsgroup and the e-mail list were the same thing, but I now
> see they are not.
>
> In F15_64, on starting SysV myDaemon in level 3, with S99myDaemon
>
> rtn = pthread_create() fails with:
>    rtn=1=Operation not permitted
>
> man pthread_create says this means:
>    No permission to set the scheduling policy and parameters specified in
>    attr.
>
> This happens for:
>    policy = SCHED_FIFO
>    policy = SCHED_RR
>
> This code works if, after boot, I start it with:
>    /etc/init.d/myDaemon start
>
> and starts on boot in my old CentOS 5 box.

When you start it via the initscripts (/etc/init.d), are you doing as
the root user or as an unprivileged user?  I'm suspecting a permissions
issue here in that the threads (actually lightweight processes) are
being run as different users.

You might try using "ps uax -L" and looking at the various threads
involved to see who's running what.