windows migrant: choosing linux distribution

Linux Tyro fedora.bkn at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 07:52:08 UTC 2011

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 12:08 AM, Rick Stevens <ricks at nerd.com> wrote:

Keep in mind that Fedora is a "cutting edge" distribution.  It's
> generally completely "updated" (replaced) every 6 months and old
> versions are only supported for two updates, e.g. when Fedora 16
> comes out, Fedora 14 will be obsoleted and orphaned (no updates).
>
> If you want a relatively stable environment (and if you're just
> learning, that might be a good idea), I'd go with Ubuntu, Debian or
> CentOS (CentOS is built from the same source as Red Hat Enterprise
> Linux).
>
> If you're willing to bleed a bit, then yeah, Fedora is the way to
> go.  As the old saying goes, "If you're not on the edge, you're taking
> up too much space." (he says, with tongue planted firmly in cheek)

Yeah and for learning purposes I guess too this is well, as somebody points
correct: I am going to stick with one particular distro for some time so
that I can know what exactly is Linux.

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 1:06 AM, Gary Baribault <gary at baribault.net> wrote:

 Hi, All three of the distributions you mentioned are major .. Ubuntu is
> more of a graphical Linux which will keep you safe, but will also restrict
> your learning experience in the sense that getting to a Root
> (administrator) command line is not encouraged. Fedore and SuSE are the
> other two major distributions, I personally used to use SuSE and have moved
> back to Fedora which has improved a lot lately (last 3 years). To me they
> are equivalent, but SuSE belongs to Novell, which was sold recently to
> AtachMate. SuSE also works closer with Microsoft, which for a Windows guy
> would seem better but for a Linux guy, makes us somewhat nervous!
>
> RPM/DEB both work well, and shouldn't influence your choice.

Yeah, but decided to go with .rpm side (whatever be the reasons, I don't
understand).

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 5:11 AM, Roger <arelem at bigpond.com> wrote:

rpm or deb really doesn't matter, administration is, to me, about
> understanding the operating system components/applications.
>
> I use both Fedora and Ubuntu and have done so for years. Both have
> advantages.
> Ubuntu is stable, upgrades with no fuss, it's good for things that you
> "just want to work" and I've never noticed deb.
>
> Fedora is also very good and I no longer hold with the axium "If you
> ain't on the edge, you're taking too much space".
> As one small example, my Laser printer Fuji Xerox. Setting up laser
> printer in Fedora right up to Fedora 14 was a pain, pig of a job, hard
> to do at the best of times. Why! Fedora still did not see printers on
> USB. This is one reason I am reluctant to upgrade.
>
> Ubuntu found the printer.

That's a great point with Ubuntu that it finds automatically (as you are
saying) but in Fedora/SUSE, I guess installation or some troubleshooting
should be there before it (distro) catches the automatic detection of the
attached hard ware like printer. I doubt if it (fedora) would detect my
samsung (old) printer or not.

> I watch list discussion religiously to gauge Fedora problems before
> deciding whether to fresh install the next version. I usually skip 1 or
> 2 versions before doing so.
> I prefer Fedora for web development because it's file systems and
> commands are same as our server OS Centos, where as Ubuntu
> "apparently"   does things differently, files named differently and in
> different file systems.
>
> You have a 250 g hd. you can run 3 operating systems as suggested, in
> virtualbox or partitions, and see which works for you, but, while there
> is not much to pick between ubuntu and Fedora they are very different
> from windows.

That's a good point, I can try that, first start the download of all the
required CDs.

> My thoughts on long term would suggest go with Ubuntu. I would say that
> once you are accustomed to Linux you will likely want to explore and
> will probably install Fedora or other on a separate partition so it is
> independent of Ubuntu.

I agree with you. So that a little exposure to Linux would be there and
then after getting some legs wet, I guess it would be easier for me.

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 6:55 AM, D. Marshall Lemcoe Jr. <forum at lemcoe.com>wrote:

All of the distributions listed have excellent support and release
> cycles, meaning you won't be worrying about when you're going to get
> the shiny new software.

Ah, well.

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 9:34 AM, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

It's always going to be hard to answer "which is best" queries.  As
> there's numerous criteria, and conflicting answers.
>
> If you want free support from other users, I would say Fedora and
> Ubuntu.  I haven't seen openSuse to comment on it.  I've noticed more
> knowledgeable answers on the Fedora list than the Ubuntu list, which
> seems to have more dumb suggestions, last time I looked.  By that I mean
> silly suggestions from people clearly don't know what they're talking
> about, and no corrections to such advice.

Oh I see. I guess Ubuntu seems more easier but not as technical as is
Fedora!

> That may have changed, with time.  But bearing in mind that Ubuntu tends
> to be the first port of call to Windows users, it seems to drag in more
> of the crazy Windows mentalities (e.g. reinstall, reboot, and fiddle
> with unrelated things to your problem).

Because of its easiness, might be, its auto-detecting capabilities.

> With Fedora, you get an unencumbered OS.  You shouldn't fall afoul of
> any royalties, patents, etc.  But you lose some functionality, such as
> mp3 playback, unless you go to a third party and take a legal risk.  Or,
> the stability risks from things like closed source video card drivers
> from certain vendors, rather than using the more basic open source
> drivers.
>
> Ubuntu doesn't care, and provides you with some things of dubious
> legality (depending on where you are), so more things "just work."
>
> To a more pure blooded *ix users, Ubuntu gets looked upon as the weenie
> version of Debian.  So, if your goal is a bit higher, you might want to
> look further than just Ubuntu.

In all, Fedora is more technical as compared to Ubuntu.

--
THX