windows migrant: choosing linux distribution

Linux Tyro fedora.bkn at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 07:56:35 UTC 2011

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 4:22 AM, Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko at gmail.com> wrote:

(1) WELCOME to the Linux community!

Thanks.

> (2) Don't hesitate to ask for help. This mailing list is a great resource
> of
> information and is followed by people who are seasoned linux users, as
> well as
> freshmen. That said, don't get offended by some nervous people telling you
> "do your homework", point you to lmgtfy.com, and such. We have all been
> beginners once, and those who cannot tolerate beginner's questions should
> not
> be taken too seriously. ;-)

Yes, that really is good thing, beginners like me sometimes could ask some
silly questions (it may be due to not use of Linux ever) but always happy
to get the answer.

> (3) It's actually a good idea to do your own research before asking a
> question
> here. Look up the topic in google, search the mailing list archives, read a
> man page (those are the "instruction manuals" for a whole bunch of stuff in
> Linux), etc. Expect a learning curve, regardless of the distro you choose.
> Some things that are trivial in Windows (like, play mp3 music) are quite
> nontrivial in Fedora (only the first time you try it, of course), and vice
> versa. The difference between Windows and Linux is not just the security,
> names
> and price. Migrating to Linux means that you need to change your way of
> *thinking* about how a computer can or should be used.

For example, the idea of graphical user interface (a GUI) in Linux is just a
> commodity that is sometimes frowned upon. In contrast to Windows, where
> GUI is
> the *only* user interface available, in Linux mostly everything can be
> done on
> the command line (the CLI, or shell prompt, or console, or...). Learning to
> use it is one of the best ways to learn Linux. In Windows the "MS-DOS
> Prompt"
> is basically a thing of ancient history, and has no serious function in the
> system. This is just one of the *conceptual* differences you are about to
> encounter. Filesystem permissions and "don't log in as root" is another. If
> you have used only Windows so far, your complete knowledge about computers
> is
> about to be challenged, and you should expect that and embrace it.

I agree with you. I came to know that how Windows used to ties the hands,
even without using Linux. However, I am not from technical field of
softwares, and also was not Windows admin or something like that, but still
with a great surety claim that Linux is Linux, Windows is nothing in front
of it - in any aspect you can compare.

> Finally, the choice of actual distro to start learning is quite immaterial.
> Any will do. What you should plan, however, is the strategy to stick to
> some
> distro for a while (say, 6 months), and then switch to another, in order to
> compare and learn what is the same and what is distro-specific. It doesn't
> really matter where you start from... ;-)

Yes, perhaps any distro would give me the basics of Linux.

--
THX