kernel/system can't see all 4G memory

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Thu Nov 3 13:12:25 UTC 2011

On 3 Nov 2011 at 11:40, Roberto Ragusa wrote:

Date sent:      	Thu, 03 Nov 2011 11:40:44 +0100
From:           	Roberto Ragusa <mail at robertoragusa.it>
To:             	George R Goffe <grgoffe at yahoo.com>,
	Community support for Fedora users
<users at lists.fedoraproject.org>
Subject:        	Re: kernel/system can't see all 4G memory
Send reply to:  	Community support for Fedora users
<users at lists.fedoraproject.org>

e>

<mailto:users-request at lists.fedoraproject.org?subject=subscribe

> On 11/03/2011 08:46 AM, George R Goffe wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > My question is, am I missing something here?
> >
> > I upgraded my lenovo 60t to 4G memory and don't seem to be able to
> > see all 4G of the upgrade.
> >
> > The hardware spec for this machine says it supports 4G memory.
> >
> > Any hints/clues/tips would be GREATLY appreciated.
>
> x86_64, so something is happening at the hardware level (shared VGA?)
> or BIOS level (wrong config, bugs).
>
> What do you get with this command?
>
>   grep 'BIOS-e820' /var/log/dmesg
>
> it will show how the memory areas have been described by the BIOS.

Might be interesting to install memtest86+  and then run
memtest-setup to add it as an option to grub.

Then restart the system, and select the memtest option.

Sometimes I've had to change the grub.conf lines for memtest,
but don't recall what needed to be changed, but this is what I have
in mine at the moment.

title Memtest86+ (4.20)
	root (hd0,0)
	kernel /memtest86+-4.20

> --
>    Roberto Ragusa    mail at robertoragusa.it
> --

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes at kuentos.guam.net
  mailto:msetzerii at gmail.com
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins
  G4L Disk Imaging Project maintainer
  http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l/

Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC at HOME CREDITS
SETI        11348155.693728   |   EINSTEIN     6794453.889851
ROSETTA      3867545.972502   |   ABC          9036187.649218