windows migrant: choosing linux distribution

Linux Tyro fedora.bkn at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 14:14:35 UTC 2011

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 6:30 AM, <J.Witvliet at mindef.nl> wrote:

The _basics_ are the same (certainly from an end-user point of view)
> Perhaps the best advice I can give you, is: put an extra harddisc in your
> PC.
> (if you are the "hasty type" consider a 250GB SDD)
>
> And you pick blindly any distro, and just get your hands wet.
> Don't be afraid to make mistakes: we all learned from our owns.
> Nowadays, you can't really break anything anymore.
> And if you manually change config files: make a copy of it, and if you are
> satisfied with it:
> Print it out and/or save it on a usb-stick.
> (so if you have to re-install it, you don't have to re-invent your wheel)
>
> Biggest diff, is the look-and-feel of the desktop managers, and the
> appropriate applications.
> But otoh KDE or Gnome (a certain version) looks the same on any distro.

Oh I see.

> So just try it. Work with it a couple of months. And try something else.
> Read the available docu.
> What is best suited for you only depends on you only.
>
> I started with slackware, tried RedHat, Debian, SuSE, CentOS, netBSD,
> FreeBSD.
> Perhaps I should try Gentoo...
> They all have their pro's and con's

You and other people here are really having great experiences.

> And for Tyro: Just try and find out what _you_ like best.
> There is no replacement for experience.

I agree this statement with blind eyes. 'Self-experience' is the biggest
satisfaction, it is in fact practical implementation in life!

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 9:00 AM, Joe Wulf <joe_wulf at yahoo.com> wrote:

Marko---really liked the pleasant and balanced reply---excellent!
> LinuxTyro---glad to see you replying to all the posts, keeping engaged,
> and having an open mind.

The only reason why I cannot fully devote myself here is due to the fact of
mine being in some other job, so I get really less time to learn Linux, but
as said, whenever, I get, I do try to sit in front of PC, however, it could
be as low as 5 to 10 minutes (not a joke)! I liked the Fedora Community,
really get very nice, technical and logical answers with a skilled aptitude.

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 9:50 AM, Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net>wrote:

The printer on the usb port was found on all Fedora versions I have used
> since F13. Earlier I had a different printer. So the problem with your
> printer may not be completely a Fedora problem.

Oh I see.
--
THX