Thanks to Fedora community; Installation & Disk Partitioning ISSUE

Linux Tyro fedora.bkn at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 15:03:32 UTC 2011


On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 9:33 AM, Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko at gmail.com> wrote:


> In principle one probably could tweak a system into booting from the /home
> partition, but I see no reason to ever want such a configuration.


> You want to think of the /home partition as your working area --- it is
> used
> for storing useful personal data, custom configurations of your favorite
> apps,
> local e-mail folders, etc. Something like the "Documents and settings"
> folder
> in Windows, only much more useful.
>

Ah well, asked just for information, not going to do that, really there is
not reason to do that. But why I asked because everytime we do partition on
the hard disk when we can boot from each partition so just thought in that
way that /home is a partition but still it is there to have data only...

I was confused since I thought earlier that partitions are always bootable,
but we can have /home as partition which is still not booted (for
clarification).


> Some people also separate other parts of the filesystem into separate
> partitions, like /boot, /etc, /var, /tmp. /srv, and so on, depending on the
> planned purpose of the system, and their personal preferences for how to
> use
> it.


Well, I could have all the separate partitions like you say, but as you
said to have only the separate partitions of '/' and 'home', so now I have
only Three partitions:-

linuxworld at linux-g34l:~> sudo /sbin/fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 250.1 GB, 250059350016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders, total 488397168 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xfedcfedc

   Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1              63   245106699   122553318+   7  HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sda2   *   245108734   488396799   121644033    5  Extended
/dev/sda5       478427136   488396799     4984832   82  Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda6       245108736   287049727    20970496   83  Linux
/dev/sda7       287051776   478414847    95681536   83  Linux

Partition table entries are not in disk order

But I don't know having separate all the partitions would server a good
purpose for initial tasks...? Perhaps they (people) might be using it  for
their personal reasons... (whatever those reasons are...).

One more thing amazing me is that, (however it could be a silly doubt, I
don't know...) when I typed in Ubuntu:

sudo fdisk -l

it worked. But here when I type the above command it doesn't work, but
rather what I need to type here is as follows:

sudo /sbin/fdisk -l

Now, why that /sbin/ is coming, is it a bug (please don't laugh if it is
not...).

Thanks man.

-- 
THX
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/attachments/20111104/956d1ddc/attachment.html 


More information about the users mailing list