Preparing for F16 / uid/gid limit

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 18:05:17 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-11-05 at 18:00 +0100, Frode wrote:
> I guess 'chown -R newUID:newGID ~/*' would be the wrong way to do
> this, if there are files with other values for oldUID/oldGID?

You might consider 'chown -R --from oldUID:oldGID newUID:newGID ...'.
This will affect only files belonging to oldUID:oldGID. See chown(1).
And of course repeat for all UID:GID combos you have under the new
limit.

But be prepared for gotchas all the same, especially from backups taken
with the old IDs, NFS mounts etc. I don't think there's a clean,
completely automatic way of dealing with all the corner cases.

poc