Preparing for F16 / uid/gid limit

Frode fropeter at online.no
Sat Nov 5 18:57:58 UTC 2011

Den 05. nov. 2011 19:29, skrev Frode:
> Den 05. nov. 2011 18:35, skrev Ian Chapman:
>> On 06/11/11 01:00, Frode wrote:
>>
>>> The other option would be to change uid/gid for all files and modify F15
>>> accordingly. Would this require me to change more than uid/gid for all
>>> the files and user accounts?
>>>
>>> I guess 'chown -R newUID:newGID ~/*' would be the wrong way to do this,
>>> if there are files with other values for oldUID/oldGID?
>>
>> I pretty much did that when moving from F14 to F16. I backed up my /home
>> volume and did a clean install of F16. This box originally started life
>> as F9 and had been yum upgraded ever since.
>>
>> After installing, I restored my files to the /home partition and more or
>> less did something along the lines of:
>>
>> find /home -uid 500 -exec chown ian '{}' \;
>> find /home -gid 500 -exec chgrp ian '{}' \;
>>
>> Where the uid and gid values are my old ones. You probably want to do
>> that in all locations where you know you've stored files or the brute
>> force approach and start from / but be careful if you have network
>> mounts etc.
>>

> Thanks for the answers, Patrick and Ian. I guess I'll just get the
> uid/gid changover done now instead of waiting for the next Fedora. It
> must be done at some point anyway.
>
> Frode

Sorry to drag this on a bit more...

The move from F15 to F16 {u,g}id will work without problems, I think. I
may have been a bit unclear about installing F16 in a separate partition
set, while keeping F15 as well in its old partition set, both having
access to the same files in a common partition set. While I think that
the move from the old to the new uid/gid numbers will work for F16 and
access to user files in F15, my uncertainty revolves around whether
there are other things that could be a problem when changing the uid/gid
for an existing account in F15, e.g. files in /etc or other places that
might need to be modified as well. (I know /etc is not supposed to hold
user specific info; just using it as an example).

Frode