Thanks to Fedora community; Installation & Disk Partitioning ISSUE

Greg Woods woods at ucar.edu
Sun Nov 6 14:59:22 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-11-05 at 11:50 -0400, Linux Tyro wrote:

> I really don't know what is hibernation and all that. Can you step by
> step let me know or point me to the link what is hibdernation for
> beginners?

Sorry, I just can't resist:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=linux%20hibernation

Essentially, hibernation is a method of writing the contents of RAM and
the CPU registers to the swap space, then powering down the computer.
When the computer comes back on, it reloads the RAM and the CPU
registers from the hard drive, and you can carry on from where you left
off. This is oversimplified of course, but it isn't necessary to
understand the details of how hibernation works in order to use it.
Modern distros, including Fedora, will provide hibernation as an option
at shutdown time. (I am deliberately avoiding the Gnome 3 flame wars
here).

This is as opposed to suspend, which preserves the contents of RAM and
only writes a little bit of additional information to RAM required to
preserve the system state, then shuts down everything except the RAM.
This is much faster than hibernation, but it does require that the RAM
be kept powered. If you lose the power, your suspend image is lost, but
resuming from suspend is much faster than resuming from hibernation.
Suspend is very useful on laptops.

And both of these as opposed to shutdown, where the contents of RAM are
not preserved, and the computer boots again from scratch.

--Greg