Thanks to Fedora community; Installation & Disk Partitioning ISSUE

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Nov 7 11:17:02 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-11-07 at 01:47 -0500, Linux Tyro wrote:
> Hibernation and Suspension of distro -- these options are a little
> typical for me at least, I just either logout or Shut down.
>
> Logout - The current user logs out of the session.
> Restart - To restart the computer to get back the session.
> Shutdown - The machine is off now.
>
> IN the definitions of the above form (the above three) can simple tell
> me the same about 'Hibernate' and 'Suspend', as simple as written
> above so that the broader non technical community can understand?

With suspend and hibernate, the computer stores everything that it's
currently doing (documents your reading/editing, pages you're browsing,
etc), so that when you wake the computer up, you resume from where you
left off.

Hibernate stores it to hard drive, and the next bootup will read this
and resume, automatically.

Suspend does it to RAM.  So your computer needs (minimal) power
continuously available to it, to keep what it's stuffed into memory.  If
the memory is lost, then the next boot will be a cold boot.

When it works, resuming from a suspend can be quicker.  Hence why the
riskier option exists.

Both are security hazards, though.  If you have an encrypted system, to
protect you against what a thief could do with your data, being able to
resume makes it easier for them to crack in.  Because resume will only
ask you for a log on password, the cold boot decrypt password query was
answered, by you, when you originally booted up.

Some sort of hardware token, such as a key that must be inserted while
booting, but is kept separate from the computer, is the simplest way to
avoid that problem.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686