wildcards to list a group of files in sequential numerical order ?

Robert Nichols rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net
Mon Nov 7 21:09:50 UTC 2011

On 11/07/2011 12:54 PM, linux guy wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 11:29 AM, Miner, Jonathan W (US SSA)
> <jonathan.w.miner at baesystems.com>  wrote:
>
>> Not sure that shell globbing will work here... but you could do something like this in bash:
> <snip>
>
> Thanks for confirming that.   I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing
> something easy.

You might try doing that with a shell sequence operator instead of globbing:

    ls DSC_{6035..6072}.NEF

That's going to blindly generate all the numbers in that sequence without
regard to whether all those files actually exist, so you might want to
redirect stderr to /dev/null to get rid of the complaints from 'ls'.

                 Do NOT delete it.