Is btrfs ready to be default fs in F17 ?

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Mon Nov 7 23:56:14 UTC 2011

On 11/07/2011 11:36 PM, Fernando Cassia wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 12:23, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net
> <mailto:h.reindl at thelounge.net>> wrote:
>
>     why in the world do you or anybody believe
>     that this will repair all sort of potentially fs-errors of real life
>     like power lost in the wrong moment?
>

> do you live in a war zone? the forest? hurricane zone? or any other
> place where the power goes out unexpectedly all the time and/or a
> strange place where power supplies blow out out of the blue? (as has
> been hinted earlier in this thread)

You don't have to live in a war zone to have a power supply fail.  You
don't have to live in a hurricane zone to have a thunderstorm knock out
power.

We live in a city.  Just 2 weeks ago a building 50 meters away from our
had a fire.  While putting out the fire the fire department determined
it safer for them to cut power to the area.  They did so without warning

The problem is that many people take their electric power for granted.
Much like you, they think they will never lose power so they don't

> I don´t know about you but I don´t use to pull the plug from the ac
> socket on my desktops (which have an UPS anyway) or remove the battery
> on my laptop while working...

Apparently you don't have cats and/or children.  I have cats....this
*has* happened to me:

http://www.simonscat.com/Films/Cat-Mouse/

I won't use btrfs until it has the tools to support recovery and a
proven track record.  At this time I don't see the need to take the risk.

--
Even if you do learn to speak correct English, whom are you going to
speak it to? -- Clarence Darrow