Yep, names like p4p1 are soooo much better than eth0 :-(

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 17:00:25 UTC 2011

On Wed, 09 Nov 2011 02:45:03 +1030
Tim wrote:

> I can't recall seeing this mentioned, so here goes:  Using the MAC, in
> some way, *in* the device name.

openSUSE used to do that, and dropped it (in fact, the NIC naming scheme
seemed to change every release for a while in openSUSE).

Personally, I thought the udev generated persistent-net file was
the best solution. If I wanted a more "human readable" name, I
could always edit the file, but at least the name never changed
once it made it into the rules. We've already seen names change
once with updates to the new software, and I'm sure they will
change again.