key repeats

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Tue Nov 8 19:00:28 UTC 2011

On Wed, Nov 09, 2011 at 02:51:35AM +1030, Tim wrote:
> Just wondering, whether it's possible to have more fine-grained control
> over key repeats when held down.
>
> Such as, it's rarely useful to have something like the A key repeat when
> held down (unless it's a control for a game), likewise with *most* other
> typeable characters.  Yet it's frequently useful that delete and cursor
> keys do repeat.

if you're talking about tweaking the keyboard repeat rate IN AN X SESSION,
you could look up "man xset" which has a (non-obvious) syntax for tweaking
the keyboard repeat rate. I've used it in the past, don't remember the
details right now.

OTOH if you're in a character-mode virtual console (i.e., no X) most
BIOSes have an option for controlling the repeat rate that you can set
and have it always apply when at a text-mode console.

Fred

  Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government there will be no end. He
 will reign on David's throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding