Fail on login after preupgrade F15->F16 (x86)

Darryl L. Pierce dpierce at redhat.com
Wed Nov 9 14:16:29 UTC 2011

I've upgraded two systems since yesterday (my laptop and a desktop at
work) to F16 from F15. Both are 64-bit systems and had no issues with
the upgrade itself.

On my laptop, after the upgrade, I was able to login locally without a
problem.

On the desktop, after the upgrade, I can't login at all locally. I put
the system in runmode 3 and tried using startx to bring up the desktop.
In that scenario I got the error that my video hardware is not able to
handle Gnome 3's video requirements. This is interesting since it
handled them in F15 without issue.

What should I do to fix this?

Delivering value year after year.
http://www.redhat.com/promo/vendor/