How to run preupgrade?

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Wed Nov 9 20:17:20 UTC 2011

On Wednesday, November 09, 2011 09:31:31 AM Colin Paul Adams wrote:
> The bug says a new preupgrade will be released shortly. I think I should
> wait for that, although I don't know how to find out when it is
> available (I added myself to the CC list, so that should do the trick, i
> hope).

This is not your bug; anaconda hasn't yet run to do the upgrade at all.

> Presumably if I yum erase preupgrade, and then install and run it again
> when the new preupgrade is on the mirrors, it should just work.

There's more to it than that, methinks.  But see where the differences between grub.conf and menu.lst are; on my F-14 system (booting on a GPT disk):
lowen at localhost:~$ ls -l /boot/grub
total 348
-rw-------. 1 root root   1510 Nov  7 12:07 grub.conf
-rw-r--r--. 1 root root  11672 Nov  8  2010 iso9660_stage1_5
-rw-r--r--. 1 root root  13104 Nov  8  2010 jfs_stage1_5
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root     11 Nov  8  2010 menu.lst -> ./grub.conf
-rw-r--r--. 1 root root  13576 Nov  8  2010 xfs_stage1_5
lowen at localhost:~$

which means, in a nutshell, that they are the same file and there should be no differences; but I've not run preupgrade, either.