How to run preupgrade?

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Wed Nov 9 20:23:05 UTC 2011

On Wednesday, November 09, 2011 08:52:43 AM Colin Paul Adams wrote:
> I've not tried re-booting  again yet (I have to look up to find out how
> to break out to the grub menu), but just looking, I can see that it is
> the first entry in grub.conf, but NOT in menu.lst.

menu.lst is supposed to be a symlink to grub.conf.  Odd that it's not.  You could either manually add the line from grub.conf to menu.lst, or rename menu.lst to something else and symlink menu.lst to grub.conf ( using something like:
ln -s ./grub.conf menu.lst
).

Be careful, though, as a wrong edit or a missing file can cause your system to no longer boot.

> I do see the keyword "hiddenmenu" in both. I'll try removing that to see
> if it helps.

Yeah, I always remove that line on machines that multiboot from grub (as opposed to multibooting to grub installed in the partition, which is the way this F-14 machine is set up, using a different bootloader).