F15_64: K3b fails, wants HAL

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 16:59:54 UTC 2011

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 10:38 AM, Michael D. Berger <m.d.berger at ieee.org> wrote:
> F15_64: K3b fails with a popup that says the to be
> sure the HAL daemon is running.  "systemctl list-units"
> does not show HAL, and goog says HAL is depricated.

HAL is depreciated but there are some corner cases where udev or dbus
don't yet completely fill the void.Optical devices is one of those
corner cases.

A quick search shows that k3b can be built with or without HAL but I'm
not sure how it was built in Fedora.

> What to do?  BTW, my cdrom has a SATA interface.

If it's truely needed HAL should have been pulled in as a dependency
when you installed k3b,

Richard