Reading an OpenServer hard drive with Fedora

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Fri Nov 11 00:39:29 UTC 2011

> Kernel Guardian wrote:
> > SCO OpenServer version?
> > If i remember well, i was read and successfully recovering data from
> > OpenServer 3 and 5.0.4 disks with SuSe 8 or 9 ( have on some CD's in
> > the basement).[my first Open Server 3 installation media was have 78
> > floppies.]
> > Reading disk content would depend on file system in use on those disks.
> > Any Linux with 2.4 kernel can read SCO disk, maybe on some must
> > recompile kernel to include support for different type of disk
> > partitioning schemes and file systems.
> > I forgot a lot of things, last time when administering SCO's is almost
> > 12 years ago.
> >
> > SCO Unixware is different story.
> >
> > Anyhow, SCO use regular partitions, and slices are under them.
> >
> Yes, that's the issue, I can see the partition table fine, but to mount the
> slices (made with "divvy" IIRC) is the issue. Given that I could do that the
> whole problem is solvable, if ugly.
>
> I don't really see what would let me get at the slice level.
>
> --
> Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>
>    "We have more to fear from the bungling of the incompetent than from
> the machinations of the wicked."  - from Slashdot

Bill, I asked a co-worker who used to work for SCO if he had any suggestions,
and he came up with this URL:

	http://scofaq.aplawrence.com/FAQ_scotec1linuxfs.html

which has some suggestions but not full solutions. You may find it
helpful, or at least one hopes.

                         While we were still sinners,
                              Christ died for us.