F16 "CRITICAL **: unable to create '/run/user/fred/dconf'; dconf will not work properly.

John Austin ja at jaa.org.uk
Fri Nov 11 16:11:24 UTC 2011

Hi

Following today's F16 updates I have following problem
99% certain this did not happen before the updates

Login to the console as fred
Create a konsole window

[fred at naxos ~]$ xhost +
access control disabled, clients can connect from any host
[fred at naxos ~]$ su - ja
Password:
ja at naxos ~ 1$ export DISPLAY=:0.0
ja at naxos ~ 2$ gedit prob.txt
** (gedit:4544): CRITICAL **: unable to create '/run/user/fred/dconf'; dconf will not work properly.
ja at naxos ~ 3$

Editing is possible but ja preferences are not honoured

Why is gedit trying to create a file in fred's directory?
[root at naxos ~]# ls -l /run/user/
total 0
drwx------. 4 fred fred 80 Nov 11 11:29 fred
drwx------. 2 root root 40 Nov 11 12:00 root

I'm asking if anyone else has seen this problem
before I submit a bugzilla against gconf2 I assume

Fully updated F16
Using KDM and XFCE (not GDM or Gnome)

[root at naxos ~]# yum info gconf*
Installed Packages
Name        : GConf2
Arch        : x86_64
Version     : 3.2.3
Release     : 1.fc16
Size        : 6.2 M
Repo        : installed
>From repo   : local-16-update
Summary     : A process-transparent configuration system
URL         : http://projects.gnome.org/gconf/
License     : LGPLv2+
Description : GConf is a process-transparent configuration database API used to
            : store user preferences. It has pluggable backends and features to
            : support workgroup administration.

[root at naxos ~]# yum info dconf
Installed Packages
Name        : dconf
Arch        : x86_64
Version     : 0.10.0
Release     : 1.fc16
Size        : 210 k
Repo        : installed
>From repo   : anaconda-0
Summary     : A configuration system
URL         : http://live.gnome.org/dconf
License     : LGPLv2+
Description : dconf is a low-level configuration system. Its main purpose is to provide a
            : backend to the GSettings API in GLib.

The following work fine as work arounds but should not be necessary
[fred at naxos ~]$ ssh -Y ja at naxos
ja at naxos's password:
ja at naxos hints_info 5$ gedit prob.txt
ja at naxos ~ 2$ nedit prob.txt

John