permanently disabling screen blanking in virtual terminals

Andrew McNabb amcnabb at mcnabbs.org
Fri Nov 11 17:58:14 UTC 2011

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 11:24:12AM -0700, Andrew McNabb wrote:
> I have never been able to figure out how to permanently disable screen
> blanking in virtual terminals.  Specifically, if I have a machine
> running in runlevel 3, the screen blanks after 5 to 10 minutes, and I
> haven't been able to figure out any way to disable this.

After many years of being mildly irritated about console blanking, I've
finally dug around to figure this out.  It turns out that adding
consoleblank=0 to the kernel command-line does the trick.  The value can
be viewed at /sys/module/kernel/parameters/consoleblank (unfortunately,
it's read-only, so it seems that you have to reboot to change it).

--
Andrew McNabb
http://www.mcnabbs.org/andrew/