Installing Fedora 16 from USB

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 19:34:13 UTC 2011

On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 6:44 PM, Miguel Cardenas <mfcardenas at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I've download Fedora 16 to install in onto my new notebook that comes with
> no dvd drive... so I used liveusb to create a bootable USB with the ISO...
> It starts the installation but then it says it does not detect a DVD drive
> and it starts to install slowly via internet, so what is the case of
> generate the USB with the installation disk? Or what should I do so it
> installs from the USB?
>
> Thanks for your help

It might be an idea to create a bootable usbkey with the netinst.iso
file rather than the live usb iso, and also have the DVD iso on the
usbkey as well, and then boot to netinst.iso and add a kernel line
parameter of the form repo=hd:device:path-to-iso where the path-to-iso
points at the DVD iso.

Here "device" might be /dev/sda2 for the usb key or whatever is
relevant to your machine and the path is relative to the root of the
usbkey.

I have not tried it with usbkeys for f16 but it is worth a shot - once
the install is in progress make sure you don't miss the bootloader
section and make sure that you carefully check or set that it will be
written to the hard drive and not the usbkey...... you may need to
switch the bios drive order when you get to that screen in the install
process.
--
mike c