SystemD - F-16

T.C. Hollingsworth tchollingsworth at gmail.com
Sat Nov 12 02:27:34 UTC 2011

On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 6:07 PM, Fedora User <fedoradch at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been doing this since RH 7.3. I'm an old fart and I don't do change
> well. There are 49 SystemD man pages. Each one is more esoteric than the
> Talmud. Seriously. "Chkconfig" made perfect sense to me. I just need one
> example to figure it all out.
>
> If I want squid to start in L-5 but not L-3. What do I do?

systemd replaces numerical runlevels with named "targets".  Apart from
that, it works very similar to how chkconfig works under the hood.
"chkconfig --level 3 squid off" essentially just does "rm
/etc/rc3.d/squid".  "chkconfig --level 5 squid on" just translates to
"ln -sf /etc/init.d/squid /etc/rc5.d/".  The systemd way is very
similar:

rm -f /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/squid.service
ln -sf /lib/systemd/system/squid.service
/etc/systemd/system/graphical.target.wants/
systemctl daemon-reload

The "graphical" target is the equivalent of runlevel 5 in sysvinit,
and it starts a display manager, while the "multi-user" target is the
equivalent of runlevel 3, bringing you to a tty.  So, the above
commands first disables squid in multi-user.target, and the second
enables squid in graphical.target.  The final command informs systemd
of the change.

-T.C.