Need to change uid and gid

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Sat Nov 12 03:23:46 UTC 2011

On 11/12/2011 12:08 AM, Steven Stern wrote:
> On 11/11/2011 04:22 PM, Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
>> In the process of upgrading from Fedora-15 to Fedora-16, my uid and gid
>> have both been changed from 500 to 1000.  I maintain a "mirror" of my
>> system as backup using rsync, so in order for the mirroring to continue
>> properly the uid and gid in the mirror filesystem have to be changed to
>> match the main one.  There's no problem with my home directory, just use
>> "$ chown --recursive 1000.1000" in the mirror of my home directory.
>> However there are a few odd files, like my crontab file
>> /var/spool/cron/jonrysh which needs to have its uid (but NOT its gid)
>> changed.
>>
>> Where is a convenient script to do this?  There must be one, since this
>> is essentially what was done in the upgrade from Fedora-15 to Fedora-15.
>
> Interesting. How did you upgrade? I used preupgrade and my id stayed at 500.

you could have changed '/etc/group' and '/etc/passwd' to set your uid:gid
back to 500.

to change 'odd files', use 'find' to locate files and make changes.

  find / -user 500 -exec chown 1000: \;
  find / -user 500 -wholename ’/var/spool/cron/jonrysh’ -prune \
  -exec chown :1000 \;
or
  find / -user 500 -wholename ’/var/spool/cron/jonrysh’ -prune \
  -exec chgrp 1000 \;

*notes*
1] due to system changing your uid:gid 'user' is now by number.
2] the "\" truncates line to prevent 'line wrap'.
3] have never tried changing uid and gid separately, so i may be in
   error as to exact syntax.
   (if i am, i feel sure correct syntax will be posted)

therefore, read;

  man find
  man chown
  man chgrp

  info find
  info chown
  info chgrp

hth.
--

peace out.

tc.hago,

.

*please reply "plain text" only. "html text" are deleted*

****
**
**
**