Installing Fedora 16 from USB

Michael Ekstrand michael at elehack.net
Sat Nov 12 19:33:59 UTC 2011

On 11/11/2011 07:05 PM, Joel Gomberg wrote:
> On 11/11/2011 04:14 PM, Michael Ekstrand wrote:
>> On 11/11/2011 12:44 PM, Miguel Cardenas wrote:
>>> I've download Fedora 16 to install in onto my new notebook that comes
>>> with no dvd drive... so I used liveusb to create a bootable USB with the
>>> ISO... It starts the installation but then it says it does not detect a
>>> DVD drive and it starts to install slowly via internet, so what is the
>>> case of generate the USB with the installation disk? Or what should I do
>>> so it installs from the USB?
>>
>> Anaconda's scan for media skips all non-optical media, so unless your
>> USB stick can fake being a DVD drive, you're out of luck.
>>
>> There is an open bug against Anaconda to get this fixed. Don't remember
>> BZ number off-hand, though.
>
> I installed F16 on my laptop from an SD card using the dvd.iso and unetbootin
> without any problem.  It was an upgrade, rather than a fresh install, which
> might make a difference.

I was trying to figure out why F15 didn't find packages on a USB stick,
I looked at the Anaconda source code, and noticed how it scanned for
media. My F16 install similarly declined to find packages (with dvd.iso
blitted to a 4G USB key). I believe I am subscribed to the bug, even if
I didn't file it, and haven't see any e-mail indicating that it was closed.

So, it might be SD vs. USB, it might be the upgrade. Glad it worked for
you, though :)

- Michael