Problems with DNS name server in Fedora 16

Michael Hannon jm_hannon at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 13 05:29:31 UTC 2011

Greetings.  I just installed Fedora 16 (x86_64) on my home computer today.
Not an altogether pleasant experience so far, I must say.

I've got one issue in particular that's really puzzling me.  I use my linux
box as a nameserver for a few other computers at our house, just to save
myself the trouble of copying /etc/hosts files.

I've got a very simple DNS configuration that worked well in Fedora 15.  I
added the statement:

    controls {};

to the end of /etc/named.conf to disable what appears to be a new feature
(rndc).  Otherwise, everything is the same as in Fedora 15, so far as I'm
aware.

Here's an example of the puzzling thing:

    $ ping compute-server
    ping: unknown host compute-server

    $ ssh compute-server
    ssh: Could not resolve hostname compute-server: Name or service not known

    $ host compute-server
    compute-server.my.lan has address 192.168.1.72
    $

(I've made my Fedora box authoritative for the domain "my.lan". I get the same
results if I use the FQDN in the above examples.)

I.e., the "host" utility CAN resolve the name, as can the "dig" utility (not
shown in the examples), but other utilities, such as "ping" and "ssh" cannot
resolve the name.

Perhaps even stranger, if I go to one of the other machines in our house,
e.g.:

    ssh 192.168.1.72

the utilities such as "ping" and "ssh" on the remote system DO resolve our
local names successfully, even though the remote system is using my Fedora box
as the nameserver!

If you can help, please do so.

Thanks,

-- Mike