Problems with DNS name server in Fedora 16

Michael Hannon jm_hannon at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 13 08:26:12 UTC 2011

>> Greetings.  I just installed Fedora 16 (x86_64) on my home computer today.
>> Not an altogether pleasant experience so far, I must say.
>>
>> I've got one issue in particular that's really puzzling me.

[...]

>> I.e., the "host" utility CAN resolve the name, as can the "dig"
>> utility (not shown in the examples), but other utilities, such as
>> "ping" and "ssh" cannot resolve the name.

[...]

> Check the contents of /etc/resolv.conf on the main system.  It probably
> isn't referencing itself but whatever nameserver your ISP provides.  As
> an example, it should probably look like:
>
>     search my.lan
>     nameserver 192.168.1.72
>     nameserver <isp.dns.server>

Very good suggestion.  In fact, my resolv.conf DID have an entry for my
system, but it was in reverse order.  I.e., to use your example, it was:

     search my.lan
     nameserver <isp.dns.server>
     nameserver 192.168.1.72

I don't understand why the resolver didn't fall through to the second
nameserver, but it evidently did not.  After I put the nameservers in the
order you suggest, everything seems to be working fine!

> Resolv.conf gets rewritten every time the net initializes, so you may
> want to:
>     chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf
>
> to make it immutable. (Remember to chattr -i  if you nned to edit it
> later.)

Another good suggestion.  I had forgotten about the immutable attribute.  I've
set it now.  (It's a safe bet that in six months or so I'll be sending a note
to the list, whining about how I can't edit resolv.conf ;-)

Thanks for your help.

-- Mike