SystemD - F-16

T.C. Hollingsworth tchollingsworth at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 11:12:12 UTC 2011

On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 10:10 PM, Tom Horsley <horsley1953 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 00:00:13 -0500
> Fedora User wrote:
>
>> The system does seem to
>> boot faster but this is really arcane compared to sysV which seemed
>> very straightforward.
>
> Arcane is the word. One big problem is the complete
> lack of anything like chkconfig --list for systemd
> services (it would be nice if chkconfig just figured
> out how to provide the info and included it).

Unfortunately, chkconfig itself doesn't translate to systemd well.
However, this thread got me thinking that there is a need for a
chkconfig-like tool for systemd.  So, I wrote one:

http://tchol.org/chksystemd/

It uses systemd's DBus interface to provide an equivalent to
"chkconfig --list", and manages the symlinks in /etc/systemd/ much
like chkconfig managed the symlinks in /etc/rc.d.  It replicates some
functionality that systemctl provides (in fact, it calls systemctl in
those instances), but does several things systemctl does not.

It does not implement the exact same syntax as chkconfig, for instance
it replaces "--level" with "--target".  But, with its slight
deviations, it provides most of the functionality of chkconfig in a
way that fully maps to systemd.

Hopefully some will find it helpful.

-T.C.