Trends - how to save Fedora ?

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sun Nov 13 16:35:16 UTC 2011

Ralf Corsepius writes:

> On 11/13/2011 03:45 PM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> > On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 07:15:20 +0000,
> >    JB<jb.1234abcd at gmail.com>  wrote:
> >>
> >> every Fedora release is going downhill ...
>
> > If you are referring to quality, I disagree that they are going downhill.
>
> Well, having spent most of this weekend with installing F16, I don't
> sense any change in quality.

It depends on where you're standing. If you follow the well-trodden path, of
always doing a fresh install, not upgrading, and always taking the default
filesystem layout, and only importing /home from the previous version,
you'll be fine.

But dare to venture off the beaten path, and, it's getting ugly. And I'm not
talking about anything weird. Even something as innocent as having
everything on raid1, will result in an upgrade to F16 (or even installing it
fresh, btw) ending up as an unbootable brick. Having listed that as a known
issue, is not an answer. Anaconda, in recent releases, have become advanced
enough so even generally non-sophisticated users, with only a minimum of
technical know-how, can build mdraid arrays. But those users are going to be
screwed if they dare to go with F16, and the steps for remediation are well
beyond what I'd expect them to have.

It can be argued whether or not Fedora is losing mindshare, or not, but
stuff like that is not helpful.