SystemD - F-16

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 18:50:08 UTC 2011

On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 14:55:55 +0000, MC (mike) wrote:

> I would like to see something in systemctl to achieve what used to be
> done with "service iptables save" - as another poster already said one
> can manually do:
> iptables-save > /etc/sysconfig/iptables
>
> Most daemon controls were done with either of "service" or "chkconfig"
> - would be nice to have it all within systemctl.
>
> So why not just have this from systemctl using something like
> "systemctl save iptables.service" ?

"service iptables save" has been a bad idea.
It's "save" action has not even been part of LSB.
"iptables" is not a daemon, at most a one-shot initscript.

IMO, it's much better to decouple iptables-save and systemctl.
systemctl is not the proper interface to use for modifying the
iptables configuration. Neither at run-time nor in /etc/sysconfig.