Trends - how to save Fedora ?

JB jb.1234abcd at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 19:34:28 UTC 2011

Bruno Wolff III <bruno <at> wolff.to> writes:

> On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 12:45:34 +0000,
>   JB <jb.1234abcd <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> > Some from an independent Fedora devs, others from other distros by
> > adoption of
> > those that are useful and not conflicting with its goals.
>
> That is unlikely to happen. More likely the fork would just die.

Perhaps no fork would be required. RH could release tight control of Fedora
for its own interest.
Otherwise, I am afraid, RH is forcing Fedora into irrelevance.

There is a need for an independent distro like Fedora (of a RH-like base)
that can breathe, function, and be governed on its own, and define up front or
acquire these important characteristics:
- uncompromised adherence to UNIX-like principles of development (no chance of
  compromise here - a matter of writing it into its status)
- identity of its own (yes, that means getting rid of the de facto "testing
  bed for RH" one)
- being attractive to devs and users who would share the above UNIX-like goal
- be modern but stable by choice (offer more recent kernel in comparison to
  RHEL/CentOS/SL, together with more thoughtful choice of software), which
  would fill in the current void in RH-like base of distros

Such Fedora would actually be helpful to RH-like base among distros.

JB