What determines mdraid minor device numbers

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sun Nov 13 20:30:32 UTC 2011

I have existing mdraid arrays. They get mounted as /dev/md0 through /dev/md2.

After some sweat and tears, I reduces the size of one of them, and used the
free disk space to assemble a new array (all arrays we're talking here are
raid 1, with two disks). I formatted the new md device as ext3.

I added "UUID=<uuid> /mountpoint" to /etc/fstab.

At bootup, the new array gets automounted on /dev/md127 for some reason.
Everything's fine, I see no issues except for the unexpected device minor
number.

Anyone care to enlighten me, how mdraid minor numbers get handed out, and
why the one I manually created comes up as a high number, even though the
next free minor device is, obviously, /dev/md3.