Trends - how to save Fedora ?

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 20:42:49 UTC 2011

On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 12:32 PM, Rahul Sundaram <metherid at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/13/2011 11:57 PM, inode0 wrote:
>> They are affected by many of the changes. That is why.
>
> How is a desktop user affected by new clustering technology?  You aren't
> making any sense to me now

Let's start over.

User #1 says "Fedora is getting worse each release."
User #2 says "You are nuts, Fedora is great. Look at all this
innovation - virtualization, clustering, etc."

I was pointing out that one problem we have that this demonstrates is
two big user communities. Sure they overlap but they are different.
Both of the above views of Fedora make perfect sense at the same time.

User #1 is from the user base professed by the project to be its
target audience. User #2 is more from the enterprise consumer side of
Fedora's community. My suggestion was to be more open about the
importance of both of these user bases to help resolve the bad
communication between them if nothing else.

Sometimes innovation is driven by enterprise use cases. Sometimes that
innovation affects Fedora users generally, even the ones that don't
care about enterprise use cases. While those in our expressed target
audience need to understand that sometimes they will be subjected to
some things that they really don't care about for the good of the
larger Fedora user community. And those driving that innovation need
to keep in mind the effect it has on our target base so they aren't
overwhelmed by what they see as needless change that is just making
their use of Fedora unpleasant to the point they stop.

John