Bios boot partition question

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 00:24:19 UTC 2011

On Mon, 14 Nov 2011 00:11:03 +0000
Marko Vojinovic wrote:

> Now, I gather from the text above that the boot partition is necessary only
> for "non-EFI" systems with a "GPT-labelled" disk. What does this mean? How can
> I check whether my system is EFI or no, and whether the disk is using GPT
> labels or not?

All excellent questions which I would have thought deserved at least
a bit of text in the release notes rather than just firing a barrel
full of acronyms at you :-).

Basically though, if you are using an existing disk that is
already partitioned, you don't have a GPT disk. Apparently
GPT is a brand new partitioning scheme that breaks free of
the old DOS scheme (and is necessary to take advantage of
the disks bigger than 2TB that are getting common these days).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table

If you actually needed a bios boot partition and didn't make
one, your system would not boot (I know from experience :-).