Trends - how to save Fedora ?

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Mon Nov 14 12:08:59 UTC 2011

On 11/14/2011 12:40 PM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On 11/14/2011 04:23 PM, Ralf b wrote:
>
>> This at least was what distros had used swap for for a long time and is
>> the reason for me to keep separate swaps for each installation.
>>
>> May-be things have changed?
>
> In the past, people absolutely needed swap because of low amount of RAM

What to consider "low amounts of RAM" is relative and depends upon  the
use case.

> but hibernate is very rare these days considering general statistics.

Whether someing is hardly rare in your statitics is irrelevant. It
doesn't mean it isn't used nor does it mean it isn't useful.
Check your swap and you'll notice that the kernel still utilizes it.

The fact anaconda lumps together swaps and lacks a proper GUI is nothing
but a defect. Installers simply must not touch what the user did not
explictly allow the installer to use.

Similarly wrt. anaconda's partitioning GUI: It tries to be smart, by
automatically assigning partions, but fails, because it can not know
what the user intends.

(Hey. I never wanted /home to be /dev/sdb3 but want it to be on /dev/sdb6.)