Problems with DNS name server in Fedora 16

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Nov 14 13:09:42 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-11-13 at 00:26 -0800, Michael Hannon wrote:
> In fact, my resolv.conf DID have an entry for my system, but it was in
> reverse order.  I.e., to use your example, it was:
>
>      search my.lan
>      nameserver <isp.dns.server>
>      nameserver 192.168.1.72
>
> I don't understand why the resolver didn't fall through to the second
> nameserver, but it evidently did not.  After I put the nameservers in
> the order you suggest, everything seems to be working fine!

Because the first one *did* answer, just not with the answer that you
wanted.  The second server is only going to queried if there's no
response from the first.

And then, you'll probably find, that every time there's a query, it
always asks the first listed server, first.  Logical, but up to a point.
If the first server hasn't responded once, within the ample amount of
time before a timeout occurs, it's probably not going to answer next
time.

So, if you ever find that name resolution keeps on taking an absolute
ages to resolve, chances are that your first name server doesn't work.

Another OS doesn't do that.  If the first one doesn't answer, and the
next one does, then subsequent queries go to the same server that
worked, last time, rather than crawl down the list, again.

I don't think Linux works like that, but it's ages since I messed with
failing DNS server to remember.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686