Bios boot partition question

Alexander Volovics a.volovic at upcmail.nl
Mon Nov 14 13:36:28 UTC 2011

On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 04:44:11PM -0800, Bryce Hardy wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 4:24 PM, Tom Horsley <horsley1953 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > All excellent questions which I would have thought deserved at least
> > a bit of text in the release notes rather than just firing a barrel
> > full of acronyms at you :-).

> Even worse, the official Installation Guide for F16 doesn't even
> mention this issue at all! Not even in the chapter about Recommended
> Partitioning. It appears to be just continued word for word from the
> previous release. I downloaded the Installation Guide specifically to
> be able to read about this in more detail, but alas that's not
> possible.

Agreed. And worser still: no mention is made of 'installation roulette'.

If you do a clean install using the whole disk with the default GPT
partioning scheme your BIOS might refuse to start the bootloader.
This is something that should not happen very often but it does.
I have encountered it on a Dell Vostro 3750, and on Lenovo Thinkpads
T121e en T520.
This can be evaded by using the 'nogpt' kernel option but no mention
is made of this (or in the case of the Lenovo's evaded by doing an UEFI
install).

NB The problem was encountered with the Lenovo's in the last days
   before the final release, see bugzilla 735733 for example.

I think not enough time as taken to think through the whole
installation business (grub2, gpt, uefi) and to produce a coherent
Installation Guide and a better adapted anaconda.

Alexander