F16 - VSFTPd not allowing users to login

Andy Blanchard zocalo at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 14:35:49 UTC 2011

Hi,

Just upgraded a box from F15 to F16 and my previously working VSFTPd config
appears to have broken.

If I enable anonymous logins, they work, but when a user tries to login
there is a pause after the password is entered, then:

> 530 Login incorrect.
> Login failed.

I've tried playing around with VSFTPd settings but nothing seems to work,
and I've also noticed that logging does not appear to be working either, so
no debug information to help work out what's going wrong.  I'm guessing
this isn't a VSFTPd issue but something related to permissions or PAM, but
not sure what that might be.  SELinux is currently disabled, so it's
definitely not that.

My current vsftpd.conf is:

> anonymous_enable=YES
> local_enable=YES
> write_enable=YES
> local_umask=022
> dirmessage_enable=YES
> dirlist_enable=YES
> xferlog_enable=YES
> connect_from_port_20=YES
> xferlog_file=/var/log/vsftpd.log
> xferlog_std_format=YES
> listen=YES
> pam_service_name=vsftpd
> userlist_enable=YES
> tcp_wrappers=YES
> log_ftp_protocol=YES

Any ideas?

--
Andy

The only person to have all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe