F16 Printer Setup

Tim Waugh twaugh at redhat.com
Mon Nov 14 15:52:09 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-11-14 at 10:13 -0500, Tim Evans wrote:
> New F16 install (fresh install, not preupgrade). Printer setup says:
>
> FirewallD is not running. Network printer detection needs services mdns,
> ipp, ipp-client and samba-client enabled on firewall.
>
> If firewall isn't running, why does it say all this stuff need to be
> enabled on firewall?  Or am I mis-reading this?

"FirewallD" is the mechanism for configuring the firewall.  Without that
mechanism running, the firewall cannot be modified by that program
(GNOME System Settings, 'printers' plugin).  It doesn't mean the
firewall is not running, just that it cannot be altered by the program.

The ability to configure network printers using the GNOME System
Settings program is fairly basic at the moment.  You may have more luck
with system-config-printer (Applications -> Other -> Printing).

Tim.
*/