Upgrade vs PreUpgrade - I'm confused

Smith, Herb herb.smith at boeing.com
Mon Nov 14 19:04:29 UTC 2011

All,

I have been using Fedora since back in the RedHat 8 days.  Here of late, when updates come out I have typically just downloaded the DVD and done an Upgrade of an existing installation and I have had great success with that.  I have not used PreUpgrade and I'm not clear on what the advantages are supposed to be in going that route.   At times I have backed up my user directory, done a clean install and then restored my home directory.

With the changes that are introduced in FC16 (specifically the UID and GID numbering and the disk label changes) I was wondering if  using PreUpgrade is preferred.  With the UID changes I was not certain that my process of backing up my home directory and restoring it after a clean install would work at all, but I thought a straight Upgrade process might be acceptable.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Herb Smith