grub-customizer

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 21:17:41 UTC 2011

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 3:06 PM, Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-11-14 at 14:33 -0600, Richard Shaw wrote:

>> > I tried to compile from the souce I downladed fro that site.
>> > But one needs libgtkmm-2.4-dev (>= 2.18)
>> >
>> > which I have yet to find. Anyone know where it is?
>>
>> gtkmm24-devel?
>
> Installing gtkmm24-devel worked but why it worked is beyond me.

How so? It's the right package. Maybe you're confused at the name
difference from "libgtkmm-2.4-dev"? That looks more like a
Debian/Ubuntu library package name. Package names are not necessarily
the same across distros so you have to know what to look for.

Let's break it down:
First in this case the original name started with lib, which most
Fedora packages do not because the upstream name doesn't start with
"lib". Fedora strongly prefers to name the package after the upstream
name. Other distro's apparently like to prefix all libraries with
"lib"

Second, the "2.4" in the actual package name tells me it's more of a
compatibility type package where having multiple installed versions of
the library is necessary. If you do a "yum list gtkmm*" you'll see
there's also a 3.0 version of the package. The other thing here is
that the original package name kept the "." notation of the version in
the package name where on Fedora it's dropped as well as the "-"
separator, so "-2.4" becomes just "24".

Third the development part of the package name is "dev" which is more
of a Debian/Ubuntu convention where on Fedora it's always "devel".

Easy, right? :)

Richard