F16 GDM: Howto disable user-list, change background, enable date?

Genes MailLists lists at sapience.com
Tue Nov 15 03:02:55 UTC 2011

On 11/14/2011 09:44 PM, Patrick Lists wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After making some changes to my F15 kickstart file I succeeded in
> installing F16 on my laptop. Unfortunately some things that worked in my
> F15 kickstart file don't work with F16:
>
> How do I disable the user list (aka face browser) in the F16 GDM startup
> screen?
>
> How do I change the background in the F16 GDM startup screen?
>
> How do I show the date in the F16 GDM startup screen
>
> I tried finding the appropriate dconf/gconf voodoo but the Gnome
> developers did an excellent job of hiding the solution :)

  I cannot speak to anything too new - but in the days of yore - gdm
user list could be turned off via: (ignore line wraps obvioosly).
I long ago switched to kdm where all things are configurable and 'just
work' ... perhaps you tried this and need the new dconf way?

1) remove user list:

gconftool-2 --direct --config-source
xml:readwrite:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults --type bool --set
/apps/gdm/simple-greeter/disable_user_list true

regards gene/