bash update killed my shells

Jonathan Ryshpan jonrysh at pacbell.net
Tue Nov 15 23:11:24 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-11-15 at 21:27 +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Nov 2011 11:54:54 -0800, JR (Jonathan) wrote:
>
> > > https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2011-15725
> > >
> > > Read through the comments.
> >
> > What *should* be in /etc/shells (by default)?  Reading the comments
> > gives many examples of bad /etc/shells but no example of a good one.
>
> Then you've read the comments not carefully enough.
>
> The /etc/shells file belongs to the "setup" package and is
> modified by shell packages when those are installed/erased.
> Therefore you may need to reinstall _any_ shell package on your
> system, such as "bash", for it to modify /etc/shells again as a fix.

Not quite correct.  What I didn't read was "$ man shells".  For my
system I believe it should be:
        $ cat /etc/shells
        /bin/sh
        /bin/bash
        /sbin/nologin
        /bin/dash
and I have edited it to be so.  Much easier than reinstalling all my
shells, particularly since I'll need a shell to do it.

Thanks to all - jon