samba changes?

Don Quixote de la Mancha quixote at dulcineatech.com
Wed Nov 16 12:12:25 UTC 2011

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 3:13 AM, Tom Horsley <horsley1953 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've copied my smb.conf file from release to release for
> years now, but with fedora 16 my windows 7 box is
> now telling me I don't have permission to delete files
> from a directory where I always had permission
> previously.

Just a shot in the dark...

User IDs in Windows are GUIDs, that is, more or less random 64-bit (I
think) numbers.

A while back I had a Win2k box with just one non-Administrator user,
this user being "mike".  For some good reason I reinstalled the system
while keeping all my data files.  After the reinstall I found that the
new mike user did not own any of the old mike's files.  I was able to
fix this by logging in as the Administrator then changing the
ownership of all of my files.

User IDs on Linux are I think 32-bit integers, with the first user
that root ever creates typically getting UID 1000, then incrementing
by one for each additional user.

Samba must maintain a mapping between the nearly random 64-bit GUIDs
and the very non-random *NIX UIDs.  Maybe your problem is that that
mapping got messed up somehow when you upgraded to F16.

I'm quite certain that there must be some way to have Windows accept
an explicitly assigned user GUID, but I have no clue how to do it.
Possibly such a feature is only supported for Windows NT Domains,
which I haven't much experience with, I've only used Workgroups on my
own Samba setups.

--
Don Quixote de la Mancha
Dulcinea Technologies Corporation