F16 KDE desktop effects - incomplete

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 18:13:29 UTC 2011

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 4:00 PM, Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko at gmail.com> wrote:

> Are you sure the second machine is fully updated, and running the latest
> kernel? Try to do a "yum update" again, and reboot the machine, there were
> some recent (couple of days ago?) updates to some xorg packages...
>
> I had the same issue on two machines with intel graphics hardware. The stock
> F16 install came with the kernel and xorg packages which didn't work on either
> of my two machines. They *appeared* to work, the "glxinfo | grep direct"
> reported that direct rendering was enabled, the glxgears did work as expected
> --- but trying to enable the KDE4 dektop effects would fail miserably, just as
> you described.
>
> However, one of the recent updates involved a new kernel and some fresh xorg
> packages. After that everything became functional, and works beautifully. ;-)

Thanks Marco - yes you were right - the machine was fully updated but
I had not rebooted - after a reboot desktop effects in the second
machine do work flawlessly now!

Excellent work by the devel team - thank you.... I am really happy
with my two machines running f16 now - and will install on a couple
more in the next couple of weeks....

Great stuff.

--
mike c